maandag 18 mei 2009

Its fun to have a little grandaughter...

In january I was told that our grandchild would be a babygirl. I was very trilled about this. Girls means flowers and pink and doll's and dresses and this is a lot of fun for a crafting grandma!

In the beginning of the pregnancy I bougt fabrics for boys and girls because my son and his girlfriend wouldn't tell us the sex of the baby. But in january the other grandma discovered the secret by chance and since I was pushing them to tell me, so I could make boy or girl things the happy parents to be, told me too.


I kept it a secret for my husband until the day the baby was born. He had no idea that all that pink fabric I was working with, indicated that we where expecting a granddaughter.


A few weeks after I was told my daughter guessed it too. She saw one pink thing in my sewing room and said..so it's a girl then?? I didn't care to lie about it.



My sewing started with this little quilt with a stork. It was to adorn the boxes with sugared almonds that we give here in Belgium as favours to all the visitors of the new baby. As long as I know this is a tradition.We always give sugared almonds. But the last 40 years the almonds are substituted with chocolade almonds that are covered with the same sugar coating. They are packed in beautiful boxes and pouches.

The quilt hangs on an old standing childrens dress hanger.

In front you see the boxes of almonds. These boxes where the " official boxes".
I know my daughter in law who also likes to craft wanted me to make these favours myself but my son was so quick in choosing these brown and pink boxes that I had no chance to think of something to make.






Of course after a while my creative juices began to flow. On the blog of Polka Dot Pineapple I saw these what she call's "moneyflowers".

I changed them somewhat in that sense that I changed the skewer to wich she attached the flower, to for a coloring pencil and put the pencil in a tin flowerpot filled with the sugared almonds.
This was the treat for visiting children.


I also needed something some favours ( we call them "doopsuiker" freely translated baptism sugars) for my groups of patchwork lady's.
After 27 years of teaching patchwork and quilting I am closing down my groups to care for my granddaughter when her mamie has to work and after teaching and being together for so many years, I thought they deserved a special favour too. Of course they awaited a handmade favour.
So I made up these petal bags and also filled them with "doopsuiker" and so the lady's would have a choise I also made some little tissue holders in the same fabric.

When my daughter in law saw these she of course also wanted some of these to put on the "official" tray and I ended up in making about 100 of these favours.

This is only the start of course of what I will be making for Anne-Fleur. Another little quilt is in the making but will have to wait to be finished until after the baby's baptism in two weeks time.
Have a lot of work in the house and the garden to make it ready for this big family do so I will see you back in two weeks time to report on the party.
Thanks for stopping by!

4 opmerkingen:

LiLi M. zei

Hallo "Oma Poes" (ja ik begin gewoon maar; goed voorbeeld doet immers goed volgen). Ik vind je ooievaars quilt met de doosjes met 'kineke's kak' (sorry maar niemand van mijn Belgische familieleden zegt doop suikers, dus ik ook niet) echt helemaal geweldig. Wat kun je je heerlijk uitleven met een meisje. Hoewel...destijds heb ik voor mijn zoontje een dekentje gequilt (à la LiLi dan) met konijntjes erop, toch ook heel schattig. Wat een plezier geeft de komst van zo'n kleine pretletter toch, iedereen geniet mee! Ik ben nu al benieuwd naar de foto's van de doop! Fijne week!

Marianne zei

Gefeliciteerd met de familie uitbreiding! Je hebt er een hoop plezier van zie ik en ik ook met het kijken naar al dat leuks. Wel een geluk dat je dochter roze ook leuk vind en niet heel modern een sekse-neutrale babykamer wilde.
Geniet ervan en laat ons maar lekker meegenieten!

quitethecrow zei

Anne-Fleur is so lucky to have you as her grandma! The little stork quilt is precious. Little does she know the treasures that await her as she grows up. Good to hear from you!

Angie zei

Your stork quilt is such a pretty thing, something she can show even to her own grandchildren. Naybe it will even be used at their baptisms

Angie (in England)